The Women in the Law Mentoring Scheme (WILMS) is designed to support women, both in the legal profession and those studying law. The Scheme provides the opportunity for mentors and mentees to give and receive invaluable advice and discuss issues of concern to women in the law.
WHAT CAN I GET OUT OF WILMS?
- Make a contact from the profession who will give you an insight into pathways you can take your law degree;
- Hear about your mentor’s experience in the work force and balancing work and life;
- Recieve tips on networking, career goal setting and skills for entering the workforce such as CV building, interview skills and cover letter writing.
WHO ARE THE MENTORS?
We have a variety of mentors from the big firms, medium firms, different areas of law, community legal centres, academia, consulting, journalism, politics and more. Mentors have practiced anywhere from one year to over 15 years. When you sign up you will be encouraged to nominate ‘preferences’ as to your mentor’s background. We will endeavour to match you with someone compatible.
SIGNING UP FOR WILMS
To sign up for the Women in the Law program please email your name, student number and interested practicing areas to email@example.com.
1. The WILMS Breakfast launch – Friday 22 March 2013, 7.00am-9.00am at the Duxton Hotel.
Key note speaker: Her Honour Justice McLure
2. Speed Networking Evening – Thursday 1 August 2013, 5.45pm-8.00pm at the Hyatt Hotel.
3. Panel Discussion and Final Thank You – Monday 21 October 2013, 5.45pm – 8.00pm at the Old Swan Brewery
Panellists: Her Honour Justice Jenkins, Cathryn Greville (President – Women Lawyers WA) and Tony van Merwyk (Partner – Herbert Smith Freehills)
WILMS would not be possible without our very generous sponsors.
Kate Ponting or Katy Rengel